Friday 14 September 2012

Hair news

It's well over a year now since I had my last dose of Cisplatin and Pemetrexed and for the benefit of those who stumble over this blog in search of more information on the effects of the cocktail, here's an update.

My hair did fall out. Not all of it, but a significant proportion leaving me with the same style - very long - but much thinner in density. It was as if those hairs that were scheduled to fall out over the six months or so in any case, did so early. It would appear that while they fell out gradually they have all grown at once. So I now have long hair over most of my head interspersed with a discernable other layer which is now about six inches long.

I was aware of this new crop from the time it started because it presented as a strange sort of whispy halo at the start.  Now it's reached some length it is oddly apparent, especially when I've just washed my hair. I've contemplated having it layered but I think that won't help and it's probably just best to sit it out and wait until the new layer integrates entirely - another year I reckon.

So, if you're reading this because you're facing the same chemo dose, I hope this helps. Oh, and mine didn't change colour. I was going gradually grey and I seem to be going gradually grey at pretty much the same rate as before.  Not every new hair is grey but some are.

No comments:

Post a Comment