Thursday 26 January 2012

Beligerent again

Throughout my life I've been prone to taking up cases which need sorting. I've already made waves in the direction of our local council on two issues this week. But my enthusiasm for this sort of activism has for the past year been sadly lacking. I just didn't have the fight in me. For the past year I've walked by on the other side so many times. Now I've changed again and I just can't allow things to pass - things that "someone should do something" about.

I'm at it again; my beligerence is back. But being beligerent about a cause, however worthy, does upset me - my psyche is disturbed. You have to have a passion about something to try to put it right. In the past it's made me very unpopular and I'm sure it will again. I expect again it will keep me awake at nights.

I have this favourite quote: "There are two types of people in this world: those who seek to make a difference and those who just take up space." It's so true on the surface but below the surface there's more to it than that. Maybe the price of action is far too high for many people. Perhaps those who are just "taking up the space" do it because they cannot bear to upset themselves or upset other people. And taking action on things that aren't right almost inevitably upsets someone, if it's only the scruffy bank nurse with the appalling cough, dirty uniform and a reluctance to ask how to spell the name of a drug.

So maybe I shouldn't think too badly of those who just let it all happen round them, who see something that's not right and don't interfere. Perhaps they're having a bad year too.

No comments:

Post a Comment