Monday 9 January 2012

Mandibular tori

I haven't told you, because I knew you'd just worry like me if I did, but I had an appointment at the dentist's today. The reason for this was that I'd detected on my inside lower jaw a lump, a very small lump, but a lump. I can't tell you how long it's been there nor when I first discovered it. I seem to remember being conscious of it some time ago. But I've been having problems getting to sleep and last Thursday the size of this lump as felt by my tongue at 2 o'clock in the morning was enorrrrrrrrmous. Hence the dental appointment.

Anxiety has been creeping up on me and I don't think it's just to do with the lump in the mouth. Generally I've been a bit 'down'. I suspect that as I'm three weeks into living with only half of my thyroid my thyroxine level is lower than it needs to be, but we've got the appointment tomorrow with the ENT consultant so no doubt that will be sorted then. Back to the lump.

Mandibular tori diagnosed the dentist, as he told me that I had a tiny similar occurence on the other side of my jaw. I couldn't feel that one even with my tongue but he said he detected it. I have benign growths. They're quite common according to Wikipedia. Depending upon your genetic heritage the prevalence of mandibular tori ranges from 5% to 40% of the population, being common in Asian and Inuit populations, and slightly more common in males. Now isn't that interesting. I've always thought of myself, because of my pale eyes, belonging to a very northern tribe; maybe there's a touch of Eskimo in me somewhere.

These tori are likely to continue to grow, but I don't need to bother with them unless they become a nuisance. Phew! Much relief and a lifting somewhat of the overhanging cloud that's been bothering me.

1 comment:

  1. This is really interesting, and does highlight the importance of going to the dentist regularly for check ups. Most good dentists will offer a throat cancer check - it is worth asking for one if it is not offered. A dentist friend of mine has been able to give diagnosis and early warning to a couple of people, who went on to be treated for cancer. As ever, the earlier it is detected, the better the opportunity for successful intervention.

    ReplyDelete