Thursday 16 June 2011

Settling down

It's over 24 hours now since I got the news that surgery was an option. It still hasn't completely sunk in yet. I've spent the past six months coming to terms with living with cancer. A certain amount of re-adjustment is now necessary. For instance, I'd assumed my car would, in all likelihood, outlive me. Now I need to be considering whether it's time I changed it. I've been decorating so that my hubby would have a presentable dwelling in the event of my demise. There are all sorts of things for which I'd made plans and of course some for which I thought no plan would be necessary. In fact, in order to be quite sure I'd understood him correctly I asked the consultant yesterday: "So what you're telling me is: I might need a Zimmer frame?"

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I embrace with enthusiasm the fact that a surgeon is going to carve me up. I'm positively looking forward to it. What is tough though is the waiting. That's been the case all the way through. At each stage when I've been told what the next action is to be I've had waits of days and often weeks before anything happens during which time there's loads of additional adrenalin pumping around me quite unnecessarily.

I've looked it up on the net and, depending upon how much is removed, I'm looking at between 5 and 10 days in hospital and then 4-6 weeks recouperating before I can drive again and start to lead a normal life. That's pretty quick I reckon. Anyway, "when?" is the question everyone's been asking me and at the moment I don't know. But rest assured I'll post here as soon as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment