Wednesday 6 April 2011

Endorphin delay

I'm just jotting this down quickly - I'll be on my way for more chemo in half an hour - while I remember it. Getting out of bed this morning half asleep and with eyes barely open, I hit my little toe on a piece of furniture. Ouch! You're feeling my pain, yes?

Well I've got a very high pain threshold - or probably to put it more accurately - my endorphins are incredibly effective. Such an injury would normally have stopped me in my tracks for no more than about five seconds, the endorphins would have kicked in and then I'd have carried on my normal business. It would only be when that side of my foot had swollen later in the evening and stayed swollen for the next couple of days that I'd have noticed the injury again. Sometimes I bump a shin or an arm and barely notice and cannot remember why I have a bruise or swelling in the first place.

So this morning was a bit of a nuisance as I was in pain for at least 30 minutes before, suddenly, I felt the endorphins kick in and remove much of the sharp pain. I can only conclude this is a side effect of the chemotherapy which I know is only just wearing off, even though it's five weeks since my last dose. The over watering eyes problem has at last abated but I guess I'd still a way to go before it was all clear of my system.

Hey ho - off I go for some more. No, don't feel too sorry for me. It's really no big deal. True I'll feel grotty for three days - today and tomorow I'll be fine - Friday, Saturday and Sunday I won't be terribly sociable. That's all. Anyway it could be the warmest day of the year today and what could be nicer than supper on the decking watching one of our incredibly spectacular sunsets. I shall raise a glass of pure aqua and toast all you lovely people who are being so supportive. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment