Tuesday 17 May 2011

Banking on it

Tomorrow should have been the day when we pick up the campervan however things have not gone quite to plan. The money for the purchase had to be released from an investment account. I instructed it to be paid as quickly as possible into a current account with another bank. It would take four days to arrive.

I anticipated a further delay upon transfer to the vendor and checked with my bank how long it would take. They told me it would be credited the same day. Hence we arranged to collect the van tomorrow in the knowledge that, like the deposit, the balance would be with the vendor by then.

You guessed. It didn't. The vendor sent a text this afternoon to say it still hadn't arrive despite me sending it over at 8.30 am this morning. I called the bank. It turns out that the deposit was small enough a sum for a fast transfer whereas the balance being a larger amount is over their limit; it would take three days. Why did nobody tell me that? To put it mildly, I am not a happy bunny.

The lovely lady who is selling the van said that she trusted us and would be happy for us to pick it up anyway. I didn't like the thought of her waking in the early hours of the intervening morning wondering if she'd just been subjected to a con. Let's face it, con artists are brilliantly believable and seemingly trustworthy otherwise they would never succeed. So we've delayed the pick up for a day. Fingers crossed the money appears in the vendor's account on Wednesday; I'm banking on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment