Saturday 19 March 2011

Tumeric

Yesterday I met a nutritionist and I've decided to consult her on my diet and learn a little bit more about how my body responds to what I ingest.
Already - and I haven't seen her formally yet - she's referred me to tumeric. It is on my list of 'consumables' but I hadn't done much research until today.

Turmeric is a rhizomatous herbaceous perennial plant of the ginger family (so says Wikipedia) and it appears to have the potential to have some sort of positive effect in the case of some cancers. I have been adding it to food - not that I actually like the taste much - but I think I should consume more of it.

Couldn't get my link nurse on the phone today so in the absence of any progress on my attempt to see the lead consultant, I rang his secretary. She was away but her position was being covered by another consultant's secretary. I wasn't going to burden her with my story but she insisted that I tell my tale of communication failure and said she'd leave a message. If I haven't heard from anyone by Monday afternoon, I'm to ring again. Her insistence that I wasn't being a nuisance and that's what they were there for was so encouraging. I came off the 'phone feeling quite elated even though I'd got no further with my quest for knowledge. It's just amazing what a little by of empathy can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment